Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, February 27, 2012

The "c" word

Wow it has been a heck of a ride this last couple weeks. I found a small lump on Kona's hind leg. It was probably the size of a skittle or smaller (lets just say I had trouble finding it in the vet's office to show her and they drew a circle around it so they wouldn't loose it again until surgery). I was told Kona would have to have a biopsy the next week. I had to wait all weekend worried to death about the surgery. I tried occupying myself but that big black circle just stared me in the face and the not knowing was so bad. I'm usually not one to borrow trouble but my mom instincts were kicked in full force and I was scared! I had by first full fledged panic attack the night before, accomplishing almost no sleep with my little bugger snoring away right next to me in bed. The next morning I'm sure they could tell I was nervous. I couldn't form straight thoughts or organize my questions so I just mumbled out "when's the earliest I can call to check on her, I'm scared" they let me give her hugs and kisses goodbye then whisked her off while I signed paperwork.

The rest of the day I tried to get some rest (that I didn't get the night before) and called at noon to check on her. They said surgery went well and that she was resting. I felt much better my little munchkin was awake from surgery but now I had about 5 hours to wait to pick her up. (It was a long day)

When I picked her up I was in shock. There was a 4 inch full size incision down her leg and a chunck of muscle missing, and here I thought they were just doing a biopsy punch! I was expecting 1 maybe 2 stitches... She looked like something out of Frankendog! She was her usual happy self, Obviously feeling the effects of the good pain killers she wasn't feeling a thing. After a quick trip to Petco to get a soft cone and a new sqeaky toy for being such a good sport we were headed home for some much needed R&R.

About that time the pain pills were wearing off and her eyes started glazing over... poor puppy. I wish I could take all her pain away! Day 1 and 2 were the hardest but after that she is back to her normal self, crazy as ever. Trying to keep her down is like trying to keep the sun from rising and the rain to fall... impossible! She is healing well, despite her sister trying to clean her wound every chance she gets! I was about to put a cone-a-shame on the dang CAT! So now we had to wait for results of the tests. Hoping the news would be clear and this would all be a great over reaction but something in me just told me something was up!

Well we didn't have to wait as long as we were expecting for the news. Friday morning I got a call from Kona's vet. The biopsy had come back positive for Mass Cell Tumor. He used a much fancier word but I was just in shock so I don't remember it. He basically told me that we had caught it early enough that it was still in stage 1 low grade and that no further treatment would be necessary for her at this time. I have to bring her in every 3 months for a check up and to keep an eye out for more tumors. But that basically her prognosis is very good. So for the news that we got its the best news we could have received!




It's still scary. I HATE that "c" word. I won't even dignify it with a capital because it doesn't deserve it. I've heard it too much in the last few years and I'm over it! It can take a hike at any time! Now that we know we can deal with all of this accordingly and keep our eyes pealed and take action if necessary. All I know is this little girl is so important to me, she's my kid. She has been there for me through so much! Through college, boyfriends, moves, jobs, broken friendships, tears, laughter, all of it! I love her so much and glad God brought us together some random day I decided to go look for a dog at the shelter. She has changed my life for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment